- Eggs (a great source of protein, choline, and omega-3s): Scramble them up, add a little low-fat shredded cheese and roll them into a whole wheat tortilla for a quick, on-the-go breakfast!
- Oatmeal (whole grain, high in fiber & protein): Let your kids get creative with some of their favorite add-ins such as nuts, berries, and cinnamon!
- Berries: Those little beauties (especially blueberries) are popping with antioxidants and polyphenols!
- Lean Meat Sandwich: Put their favorite lean fixings on some healthy whole-wheat bread or wrap (folate)!
- Seasonal Fruit: Considered ‘nature’s candy’ – choose high-fiber seasonal fruits to keep kids regular and make sure they are getting plenty of antioxidants. Make fruit fun to eat by cutting it into shapes, serving it on skewers, or making a colorful ‘salad.’ Want the most nutrition from kids’ favorite fruits like apples and pears? Keep the skins on!
- Seeds and Nuts: Make like our squirrel friends with these healthy treats which are rich in protein and fatty acids. Add whole mixed seeds and nuts to lunch boxes – or even try a sandwich made with sunflower seed butter for a change of pace.
- Cereal: Fuel up with some whole grain cereal brimming with folate, protein, and complex carbs for a natural energy jolt.
- Greek Yogurt: This full-fat, high-protein powerhouse has just what the brain needs to fire on all cylinders. Fat is good for the brain and the extra protein is good for energy and a healthy metabolism. And when you let kids mix their yummy yogurt with berries or a few dark chocolate chips? They’ll think it’s a TREAT! Score!
- Lean Beef: Full of iron and zinc, it gives our kids a great dose of muscle-building protein.
- Fish: This heart-healthy staple is loaded with healthy fat and those brain-powering omega-3s that help kids’ bodies and minds work at optimum capacity.
- Greens: Get a little color on that plate! For a fun, delicious veggie treat (filled with folate and vitamins), entice your kids with kale chips. Fun to make – and delicious to crunch.