Fort Gordon Youth ChalleNGe Academy
What Is Forth Gordon Youth ChalleNGe Academy?
The Fort Gordon Youth ChalleNGe Academy is a no-nonsense, demanding, and tough approach to the participant’s future success. Its main goal is to assist at-risk youth with life and academic skills training which aim to improve his/her employment potential and to create a productive citizenry. The academy is situated in Brems Barracks in Fort Gordon in Georgia. The program lasts for 5.5 months with a 12-month post residential program for its participant. The program starts in March and September. Approximately 425 participants benefit from the program yearly.
Participants must be at 16 – 18 years old to be accepted in the program. They are high school dropouts who are legal residents or citizens of the state of Georgia in the United States of America. They are also underemployed or unemployed with no illegal drugs or court/legal system involvements.
The Fort Gordon Youth ChalleNGe Academy Program
The program aims to instill the 8 core concepts in each participant. Only those participants who have exhibited mastery in all 8 concepts are allowed to graduate from the 5.5-month residential phase.
- Academic Excellence: Each participant is expected to earn his/her GED while in the program. He/she will have mastery in math, social studies, essay/writing skills, science, and arts and literature. Evaluation of educational progress and performance consists of passing the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE).
- Job Skills: After the program, the participant is expected to possess the necessary skills in conducting job searches in order to improve his/her position in the society. He/she must have learned how to conduct himself/herself in a job interview, how to fill up job applications, and how to write a resume.
- Life Coping Skills: The participant acquires a better understanding how his/her desires, needs, and attitudes can motivate him/her as citizens, as individuals, and as members of the academy. He/she learns anger management, gender stereotyping, parenting, substance abuse, stress management, budgeting, and team building skills.
- Health & Hygiene: The participant learns hygiene and health habits in order to promote his/her physical, emotional, and mental well-being.
- Service to the Community: The participant develops knowledge of what he/she will gain by volunteering to community agencies and projects.
- Responsible Citizenship: The participant understands what he/she must to support his/her community. Honor code, violence prevention, cultural awareness, and justice are taught in the program.
- Leadership and Followership: The participant acquires the necessary skills to be a good leader, good follower, and an esteemed member of the community.
- Physical Fitness: The participant learns the value of physical fitness training and commits to it in order to improve his/her mental, physical, and emotional well being.